WIC’s Nutrition Education
Nutrition education is the program benefit that sets WIC apart from other nutrition assistance programs.
The broad goals of WIC nutrition education are to:
- Emphasize the relationship between nutrition, physical activity and health with special emphasis on the nutritional needs of pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women; infants; and children up to the age of five.
- Assist the individual who is at nutritional risk in achieving a positive change in dietary and physical activity habits resulting in improved nutritional status and in the prevention of nutrition-related problems through the optimal use of WIC supplemental foods and other nutritious foods.
Nutrition Education and Counseling
WIC nutrition education encourages you to play a more active role in learning. Participant centered nutrition education makes learning more engaging and meaningful.
Nutrition education is offered in several different ways:
- Individual counseling
- Group session
- Online class through WIChealth.org
Participants with serious health or nutrition concerns will receive one on one counseling from a WIC nutritionist.
What is WIChealth.org?
WIChealth.org is a nutrition education website. A completed WIChealth.org lesson counts as a nutrition education contact. High-risk participants can complete a lesson on topics that interest them but will need to see the WIC nutritionist for nutrition education.
- Go to WIChealth.org.
- Sign up and complete your profile. You will need your family ID number. Call your clinic if you do not have this number.
- Click “Start a new lesson” on our dashboard.
- Select the lesson WIC staff helped you choose based on your nutrition goal.
- Complete the lesson.
- Fill out the survey.
- You will receive a Certificate of Completion. The certificate will be sent to your WIC clinic.